mkmaxey96 (at) gmail.com
Bachelor of Arts | May 2018 | California State University, Fullerton
Major: Communications, emphasis in print journalism
Associate of Arts for Transfer | May 2016 | San Joaquin Delta College
Journalism, Communication Studies
DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS, Disneyland Resort Public Affairs
Internal Communications Professional Intern | spring 2019
- Create strategies to communicate resort priorities across a variety of channels to 30,000 Cast Members
- Interview Cast Members and conduct research to craft articles for the Disneyland Resort Line and online posts for the HUB
- Produce and edit video contentand design slides for Cast TV
- Code weekly West Coast CenterStage email with Adobe Dreamweaver
- Build posts and manage pages for HUB and DLR Now with WordPress
DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS, Walt Disney World College Program
Lifeguard and Food and Beverage Cast Member | fall 2018
- Ensured Guests’ safety when experiencing the attractions and offerings at Blizzard Beach using the Ellis lifeguard training standards
- Used courtesy first in all interactions with Guests at Blizzard Beach and Magic Kingdom
- Kept in good show at all times when on stage, making sure to keep costume integrity and utilize theme language
TUSK MAGAZINE, California State University, Fullerton
Layout designer | spring 2018
- Created innovative page layouts for the student-ran culture magazine.
- Utilized Adobe Creative Cloud to combine copy, photos and graphic designs in aesthetically pleasing layouts.
- Collaborated with other designers to create a cohesive design for the entire magazine.
DAILY TITAN, California State University, Fullerton
Social Media Editor | fall 2017
- Maximized engagement with readers through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Created social media videos and campaigns to increase follower count and website clicks.
Reporter and assistant to the layout editor | spring 2017
- Published multiple stories a week in Associated Press style for the student-run newspaper of Cal State Fullerton.
- Met daily deadlines with articles on campus events, campus clubs, administration, local events, political events and more.
- Articles were always fact checked and reported thoroughly. Assisted in the design of the print editions on the Daily Titan. Brought creativity to the opinion and feature pages. Abided by the rules of modular design when laying out pages.
News editor | fall 2016
- Coordinated and managed all news content for the Daily Titan. Supervised reporters in their reporting processes and advised them on writing techniques.
- Daily work included creating story pitches, fact checking and section editing.
THE COLLEGIAN, San Joaquin Delta College
News editor | spring 2016
- Oversaw all news content for The Collegian, the student newspaper at San Joaquin Delta College.
- Edited and fact checked reporters’ news stories. Vetted story pitches with staff members. Designed front page layouts for every print edition.
Opinion editor and social media editor | fall 2015
- Edited all opinion columns for The Collegian.
- Implemented a new section called ‘Mustang Voice’ which still runs today.
- Created unique page designs for every issue using Adobe InDesign.
- Oversaw all social media posts for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Instructed the newspaper staff on how to use different social media platforms, the ‘do’s and don’ts’ and the tone of each of the platforms.
Editorial intern | The Record | summer 2017
- Reported on local news for a 60,000 circulation daily newspaper.
- Shot and edited video packages for the newspaper’s website and Youtube page.
Editorial intern | Townhall media | summer 2016
- Produced online news content, conducted website back-end duties and assisted in social media strategy.
- Well-practiced in reporting, writing and editing print and online articles
- Advanced in Adobe InDesign
- Experienced in shooting video and photos
- Advanced in video editing on Adobe Premiere
- Experience with photo and graphic editing on Adobe photoshop.
- Some experience using Adobe Illustrator
- Advanced in slideshow creation on Apple Keynote
- Experience with WordPress back-ends and some HTML code
- Knowledge of Adobe Dreamweaver and basic code
President, Society of Professional Journalists, Cal State Fullerton Chapter
Member, San Joaquin Delta College Speech and Debate team, Delta Force.
Pi Member, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Alpha chapter
Youth Basketball Coach, Galt Parks and Recreation and NorCal AAU league
Awarded third place for best news series from the California College Media Association, 2018
Awarded fourth place for best multimedia presentation from the California College Media Association, 2018
Awarded third place in page design at the fall 2015 NorCal Journalism Association of Community Colleges conference.
Awarded second place in on the spot opinion writing at the spring 2015 State Journalism Association of Community Colleges conference.